Start a new topic

Start up error

Description:Unable to initialize client-side database.
General error: "java.lang.NullPointerException" [50000-161]

Hello. This appears to an error we've seen in past versions, but nothing at all recently. The most helpful thing would be for you to send us your logs from the computer you saw this error on. To do so, click the younity icon, then "Preferences" and then "Send your logs to Entangled Media Support" (a link towards the bottom of the dialogue box).

After you do that, it would be best to see if rebooting your computer resets the database properly and lets it load.

Sorry for the inconvenience and we appreciate your patience. Thanks.
Thanks for sending your logs. Upon closer inspection, this doesn't look like an error that we've seen before after all. It appears that restarting younity and/or rebooting your computer did not solve the problem.

If that's correct, we'd like you to try the following:

1. If younity is currently running, please shut it down by right-clicking on the icon in the system tray and selecting "Quit younity".

2. Please delete the younity application support directory. On Windows 7, the application support directory is located here:

C:UsersYour User NameAppDataLocalyounity

Please delete the entire directory. Note that the directory may be grayed out or otherwise appear hidden in Windows Explorer.

3. Restart younity via the Start Menu icon, or by simply rebooting your machine (younity will run on startup).

Once younity restarts, if you again see the startup error, please let us know. Sorry again for the inconvenience and thanks very much for your patience and continued support.
I do not see a "Local" folder in "C:Users\AppDataLocal", and I do have it set to show hidden files.

I am using Win 7 x64.
Sorry. GetSatisfaction had trouble parsing my original reply.

You need to look here:

C:UsersYour User NameAppDataLocalyounity

Replace 'Your User Name' with your username on Windows 7. If you still don't see the Local subdirectory, it really is hidden. It's clear from the log file you sent that the directory exists.

If you like, we can walk you through it. If that's the case, please e-mail and we will contact you directly. Thanks.
Login or Signup to post a comment