Start a new topic

How to set a proxy for the younity app on windows?

Description:Im trying to install the younity app on my Windows Vista PC at work and I get a "connection error". Im pretty sure its due to the proxy that we have setup here at work. I didnt see any options to setup a proxy, how is that done?

Hi Brady,
Sorry for the inconvenience and also for the very long delay in getting back to you, our team has been focused on a new release.

We have not seen any connection issues like you are describing and normally we would route through a proxy just fine. Would you mind sending in your logs from the device that has the issue. It would be best if you did this while at work after you see the error. This should let us see the error messages in the app once that failure occurs.

Thanks for the reply. I have 2 questions for you:

1) where are the logs? I tried again at work without success. I went to where the younity.exe is installed, but didnt see anything there that looked like a log file.

Here is what is displayed by the app when it fails:

Connection Error
This device cannot share files without a working connection to the younity server.
This is normal if you are not connected to the internet.
If you do have a working internet connection, an unknown error has occurred,
and the error has been reported to Entangled Media Support.
Click Back to go back and try again, or click Cancel to exit without registering.

2) I imagine the app can route through a proxy, the original question was: Where do I configure the proxy URL, etc to use? If I look at the Dropbox settings for example, there are several options, one being "Manual", whereby you configure the proxy server, etc.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

First of all, you can send the logs via the app itself. On your PC, right-click on the younity icon in the system tray and select "Preferences...." Then click "Send your logs to Entangled Media Support"

Regarding the proxy, we don't currently support manual proxy configuration, nor have we tested a significant number of external configurations. Having said that, everything we do is straight (outbound only) HTTP and HTTPS. As such, you may be able to use an HTTP proxy without issue. If your organization is blocking DNS lookups, you will also need a DNS proxy, since do rely upon DNS.

So I would try, if you haven't already, to setup a proxy in Windows. If you haven't done that, you actually need to do it in your IE settings:

If you've already tried and failed to setup a proxy, it will be a while longer before we have built-in proxy support.

Nice to hear from you.

As for the younity preferences, when I right click on the younity icon in the system tray, I only get 3 options: "Register Device", "Support Center", and "Quit Unity". Selecting "Support Center" opens a browser and brings me to your web page. I guess I would be able to set the preferences once this device is registered.

I already have the proxy configured in IE, so it doesnt look like I have any other options at this point :(

I'll try again in the next release.

If you're seeing the "Register Device" menu, it means you haven't registered your device yet. Click on it, and the click Create Account, etc.

I take that back -- your earlier comment indicates you've tried to register and it's failed. I should have read more closely.
Yep, Im trying to register this device and cant :)
Also trying via proxy to register a device. But since I cannot get past the proxy, all is halted at this point.

Sorry about that. We are looking into manual proxy support for a future release.
I look forward to this feature.
Login or Signup to post a comment