Start a new topic

I'm getting only Desktop content...

Description:Basically, things work if I can see the file. Problem is, I only see folders and files on my computer desktop (and files in the Desktop folders). The computer has been running for days, so the program has had enough time to find all my content. It said that the scanning is complete.

The computer is running Windows 7 64-bit. I loaded the computer program for Younity about a month ago (1.4.1).

Can I make it find all my content?

Sorry to hear about that. If you're willing, there are a couple things we can do to figure out what's wrong:

younity ignores files contained in directories that are hidden. Sometimes, and especially on Windows, other applications and/or Windows updates will cause a directory to be marked as hidden, which then prevents us from 'seeing' it.

To confirm or deny this, please try the following.

1. Select a directory that you believe contains files we should 'see'. Good choices would be your Documents, Music, Pictures, and/or Videos directories. Make sure there's some files in there.

2. From Windows Explorer, view the permissions of the selected directory. In other words, navigate to the directory in Windows Explorer, right-click on it, and select "Properties".

Note that you need to navigate to the actual directory, and NOT the "Library" item. For example, if I were going to select my Documents directory on my Windows 7 machine, I would navigate here:

C:UsersMike AbrahamMy Documents

I would NOT select the "Documents" item from within the "Libraries" section of Windows Explorer. Both show the contents of the My Documents directory, but you can't access the "Properties" dialog from the Libraries item.

3. Select the "General" tab in the Properties dialog and look at the "Attributes: Hidden" checkbox. The checkbox should NOT be checked. If it is checked, younity will not be able to see the files in that directory and any of its subdirectories.

If the directory is marked as hidden, uncheck the box and click "Apply". You will be prompted to apply the change to just the selected directory or to all of its children as well. It's up to you, but if you want the contents of the child directories to be available to younity, you will need to make them non-hidden as well.

If this problem is the result of one or more hidden directories, this should resolve it. You will need to wait a bit for the file information to propagate.

If it does not resolve the problem, or if you determine that these directories do indeed contain files, and that they are not hidden, there is only one way to get to the bottom of it, and that's to send us your log files.

The best way to capture the info we need in the logs would be to do the following:

1. Quit younity.

2. Start younity again via the Start -> Programs -> younity shortcut.

3. Once you see the 'Scan Complete' popup, please send the logs. To do that, right-click on the younity icon in the system tray, and select "Preferences". From there, click the link labeled "Send your logs to Entangled Media Support" and confirm your decision.

Once we've examined the logs, we will update this post with next steps.

Thanks in advance for going through this somewhat painful process. We hope it will result in a better user experience for you, and also give us the opportunity to improve the product for others as well.

Please contact us with any further questions or concerns. And thanks for your help and patience. We greatly appreciate it.

Mike Abraham
CTO, Entangled Media
Younity in Windows Vista is only scanning my user directory (My Documents, etc...) and nothing else. Most of the directories I have are not hidden and I double checked one that is definitely not hidden and has media inside of it that is located in a directory off my root.
Login or Signup to post a comment