Start a new topic

Can I have younity allow pc to sleep?

Description:Younity keeps my PC from going to sleep. The screen goes blank, but the drives are still spinning, and the keyboard lights are still lit.

3 people have this question

younity indeed prevents your PC from sleeping, but only if it is connected to AC power. And, like you observed, it doesn't prevent your screen from sleeping, just the rest. And again, if on battery power (assuming you're using a laptop), younity does not prevent sleep.

That is by design, of course, and is similar to the behavior of many other applications. If you want your computer to sleep, overriding all applications' ability to prevent it, you can explicitly sleep your PC using the Start menu (no application can prevent that), or you can setup your PC to hibernate (which again, no application can prevent).

I've changed the type of this topic to Idea, so that others can vote for this suggestion. If we get a lot of interest, we can consider making sleep prevention a configurable option.
I want my PCM to go to sleep automatically.

It's indeed quite annoying. Anything disruptive in the day to day use of a computer should be configurable.

My output of powercfg -requests:

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -requests

[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\younity\jre-windows-32\launch4j-tmp\younity.exe

[PROCESS] \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\younity\jre-windows-32\launch4j-tmp\younity.exe

Is there a way to put desktop PC into sleep with Younity active? Screen dims but PC lights and disk remain active. Only way to sleep is to shut down Younity.

Can some thought be given to allow PC to sleep as an option, be part of the configuration setup as it's causing my windows 10 to sleep currently only option is to exit app and then sleep PC.

Have same problem. When younity works i can't turn my pc to sleep over menu of windows 10. But if i close younity pc go to sleep normally. Will be better if you make possible configure this option in younity.

Sorry for any confusion or irritation regarding our sleep suppression. The way it was designed to work is as follows:

1. When the computer is on AC power, Y allows the display to idle, but not the CPU/disk. It does indeed register a "soft-sleep" power exception, as you have shown.

2. When the computer is on battery power (laptops, essentially), Y does not prevent sleep of either display or CPU. And if it had previously registered a power management exception, it removes it.

3. Y should not prevent a "hard sleep" event, such as happens when the user selects "Sleep" from the Mac menubar or Windows taskbar.

It sounds like we may have failed at #3, at least on Windows. We develop and test on both Mac and Windows, but perhaps we missed something. We will retest that immediately and I will let you know if we have a bug.

We will also add a configuration option to make the setting configurable. I can't say exactly when that will be available, but I would think before the end of the year.

Thanks for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience.

Login or Signup to post a comment